Pipe Handling & Inspection Automation
The team at Rockford Engineering brings knowledge and enthusiasm to every project, but local projects ramp up the enthusiasm which helps to deliver world-class solutions to our local industries. In 2013, we were given the opportunity to design and fabricate an automated pipe-handling facility in the heart of oil country Saskatchewan, Estevan. After the successful startup up and implementation, a second system was provided to CJ’s Grad Prairie facility in 2017.
Clayton Jahn, the owner of CJ-CSM Inspection Ltd. was worried about the implications of human error in regards to their pipe handling including safety concerns for workers and leaks once the product went into the field. He decided to reach out to Rockford Engineering Works Ltd. to see if it was possible to create an automated system that would increase efficiency, be more reliable, and offer employees a safer work environment. The result was an automated pipe handling and inspection facility.
From the initial napkin sketch, through fabrication, testing, and installation, Rockford worked together with CJ-CSM to help create a safer, more efficient facility, with all of the facility’s sorting and cataloguing of pipe being performed by one operator safely behind a touch screen monitor.
Key Features of the Facility
- The facility is operated through a programmable logic control system (PLC)
- From a touch screen station, the automated inspections allow the facility to sort and catalogue all pipe into appropriate batches
- Five building exits allow for sorting and storage of pipe for future processing
- All equipment was designed to be modular for quick installation and easy replacement of wear items such as v-rolls and transfer blades.
- The system was pre-wired and completely shop-tested with the actual product prior to shipping.
- Installation and start-up of the system was fully supported on-site by Rockford engineers and technical resources.
See All the Project Images
Rockford continued to stay in touch with the client not only to ensure the system operated properly but to receive feedback for further improvements. We take pride in working with our clients and believe this is an important part of our process.
“By working with a local engineering firm here in Saskatchewan, we benefitted from the drive and teamwork to do something totally different and many times better.”
– Clayton Jahn (SIMSA, Chain Reaction: A Series of Case Studies on Saskatchewan’s Industrial and Mining Supply Chain)
See the Project
Read the SIMSA Interview
Work with Rockford
Rockford Engineering has specific expertise regarding mechanical and automation design in the pipe handling industry. Our engineers’ combination of both practical in-the-field experience and technical training makes us a perfect candidate for projects such as this.
Our in-depth understanding of how pipe is made and processed can be an asset in both greenfield and brownfield initiatives. Whether designing a new system for your specific application or analyzing an existing system for improvement and optimization, Rockford can help.